Have you dealt with lugs and nuts that won’t budge when trying to loosen or tighten them? It usually is demotivating and, to some extent, exasperating, right? How much more strain and bruises on your knuckles are you willing to take before you can put a lid on your efforts?
There is a way to save yourself all this hassle. Adding the best cordless impact wrench for changing tires to your tool kit will revolutionize your car maintenance projects and other torque-demanding applications.
Rusted fasteners, stubborn bolts, or overtightened lugs will have nothing on you. This handheld tool graces you with incredible torque while still crediting you with the cordless advantage. This way, you can swiftly change tires without breaking a sweat.
- DEWALT (DCF899M1) 20V Max XR Impact Wrench Kit
- CRAFTSMAN V20* Cordless Impact Wrench Kit
- MAKITA 18V Brushless Cordless ½” Sq. Drive Impact Wrench
- DEWALT Brushless High Torque ½” Impact wrench (DCF899HB)
- MAKITA Brushless Cordless ½” Sq. Drive Impact Wrench (XWT11Z)
- PORTER-CABLE ½” 20V MAX Impact Wrench (PCC740LA)
- Ingersoll Rand Cordless Impact Wrench Kit (W7150-K1)
- MILWAUKEE M18 ½” High Torque Impact Wrench’
- Ryobi P261K 18V Cordless ½” Impact Wrench Kit
- DEWALT (DCF890M2) Cordless Impact Wrench Kit with Hog Ring
- MILWAUKEE 2767-20 1/2” High Torque Impact Wrench w/ 5.0 Ah battery
Best Cordless Impact Wrench for Changing Tires Reviews
This epitome of power among cordless impact wrenches from the distinguished DEWALT brand takes up first place in this compendium. With about 1200 ft-lbs of max breakaway torque and up to 700 ft-lbs of fastening max torque, you can easily work your way through demanding applications.
Other than getting the cordless tool itself (½” impact wrench bearing detent pin anvil), you also bag a tool bag, one sturdy (4.0Ah) 20V XR Li-ion battery, and a fast charger. Quite the ultimate package, right?
The variable speed control ensures that you enjoy optimal control over the tool. Depending on the application at hand, you can easily choose between the various speed settings ranging from 0-400, 1200, and up to 1900 RPM. The compact design of the unit (8 13/16″ length) and the considerable weight of 7.6 lbs make it easy to handle and use.
- Delivers up to 2400 impacts per minute.
- Incredible torque power.
- Brushless motor technology for optimal performance and prolonged motor life.
- It is fitted with an LED light with a 20-second delay for improved vision.
- Multiple speed control feature.
- Backed by a three-year warranty.
- Inclusive of a fast charger and powerful 4.0Ah battery.
- Moderately heavy.
Buy On Amazon
2. CRAFTSMAN V20* Cordless Impact Wrench Kit
If you are hunting for a cordless impact wrench that packs a punch, this is the deal for you. This ½” impact wrench is the solution to large stubborn fasteners. This unit delivers a staggering IPM of up to 2500 complemented by 350 ft-lbs max torque that helps deal with such fasteners with ease.
For increased control, this cordless unit is fitted with a variable speed trigger that helps you set speeds relative to the application you are executing. The maximum speed scales up to a whopping 1700 RPMs.
Also included in the kit is a high-performance 20V max Li-ion battery (4.0 Ah) that graces the tool with phenomenal runtime even in challenging applications. In an effort to ameliorate productivity and reduce time spent by the battery sitting on a charger, you are provided with a fast charger that juices up the battery in about 60 minutes.
- Bears a hog ring anvil for fast and uncomplicated socket changes.
- Stainless steel housing for increased durability.
- LED light for increased visibility.
- Shows compatibility with the Versatrack hang hook.
- Variable speed trigger feature.
- Powerful 4Ah Li-ion battery.
- Delivers 35-inch pounds of torque.
- Slightly heavy (7.6 pounds).
Buy On Amazon
3. MAKITA 18V Brushless Cordless ½” Sq. Drive Impact Wrench
This cordless impact wrench model is the utter definition of compactness in its class. Even better, its compact design does not compromise its reliability. With a fitting weight of 3.2 pounds, length of 5 5/8”, and ergonomic style to boot, you can be sure it has a good feel on hand and is easier to apply.
You can employ the four-speed variation feature that promotes accuracy in fastening control throughout multiple applications. The various speed selections include; 0-1000, 1800, 2600, 3200 RPM. In terms of Impacts Per Minute (IPM), the upper limit scales up to 4000 ipm.
Brushless technology enables the motor to deliver up to 430 ft. lbs. of nut-busting torque and 240 ft. lbs. of max torque. It features innovative three forward and three reverse auto stop modes for augmented efficiency. The soft rubberized grip ensures that your hands do not get sore on the job and somewhat improves your comfort.
- Onboard LED light with a separate on/off button.
- Lightweight design (4.0 lbs inclusive of battery).
- ½ “ impact wrench with detent anvil.
- Star protection technology.
- Makita’s Extreme Protection Tecnology (XPT).
- 4-speed selection switch.
- Brushless motor design for increased runtime.
- Sold as a tool only (battery and charger are purchased separately).
Buy On Amazon
4. DEWALT Brushless High Torque ½” Impact wrench (DCF899HB)
This is yet another phenomenal model from the DEWALT brand that is definitely good value for money. Being a battery-powered tool, you will benefit from its user-friendliness and the convenience it provides.
Also incorporated in this unit is the ingenious brushless motor design that allows you to enjoy the singular performance and longer runtime. This unit utilizes a distinctive 20V max XR 5.0Ah Li-ion battery, gracing you with enough power to last you through heavy-duty applications.
Even better, you get to bag a pair of these premium batteries when you purchase this tool. If the original batteries get faulty, you can use other batteries from DEWALT 20V Max tools. There is also a 3-speed selector switch integrated into the unit to maximize control.
- Delivers 1200 ft./lbs. of breakaway torque and 700 ft./lbs. Max torque.
- Lightweight and compact
- Accommodates batteries from DEWALT 20V MAX tools.
- Brushless motor design.
- Inclusive of a pair of 20V Max XR 5.0 Ah batteries.
- The deal is void of warranty details.
Buy On Amazon
5. MAKITA Brushless Cordless ½” Sq. Drive Impact Wrench (XWT11Z)
This spectacle of a cordless power tool excels at ergonomics making it an extremely user-friendly option. From its soft rubberized grip for added comfort to a significantly lightweight design (3.8 lbs.), you are sure to work for extended periods with minimal fatigue conveniently.
This tool has a 3 stage LED gauge that indicates the battery charge status. If you are in a dark workspace, you can employ the built-in LED light on the tool that has an independent on/off switch button to illuminate the area.
It prides itself on a thoughtful reverse rotation auto stop mode that works by stopping rotation and impact quickly (in 2 seconds) when the fastener is sufficiently loosened. You can exercise control through the three-speed selection switch that allows you to choose one out of the three different speeds depending on the application.
- Multi-speed control feature.
- Compact design (measures 5 ¾” in length)
- Delivers 210 ft. lbs of max torque
- Star protection technology to optimize battery health.
- Backed by a three-year warranty cover
- Brushless motor design for more power and speed and longer runtime.
- Sold as a tool only.
Buy On Amazon
6.PORTER-CABLE ½” 20V MAX Impact Wrench (PCC740LA)
Do you need a cordless impact wrench that excellently handles large fasteners? This is the ideal bargain for you. Its rpm range on the upper limit scales up to 1650 rpm. This enables you to drive large fasteners quickly.
It is fitted with a sturdy motor that delivers 260 feet pounds of torque, enabling you to work through-duty applications like a master. The process of changing sockets is pretty fast and simple, courtesy of the ½” hog ring.
You don’t have to bother about damages to this unit by chemical spills. This is because it is built with a chemical-resistant housing making it ideal for automotive setups. It has an over-mold grip that graces you with marked comfort during use. It also has a full variable speed trigger for improved control with the maximum speed scaling to 1700 RPM.
- Backed by a 3-year warranty
- The bargain is inclusive of one 4.0 Ah 20V battery.
- Delivers 260 ft-lbs of torque
- Built-in LED light for illumination
- Overmold grip design
- Chemical resistant housing
- Slightly heavy but balanced (6.0 lbs inclusive of battery) and measures 9.9” in length
Buy On Amazon
7. Ingersoll Rand Cordless Impact Wrench Kit (W7152-K1)
Are you looking for a bargain with plenty of items besides a cordless impact wrench? This kit from the acclaimed Ingersoll Rand brand perfectly fits that criterion. Once you purchase the kit, you bag the impact wrench and acquire two batteries, a charger with an auxiliary USB port, and a carry and storage bag. Isn’t it quite the complete kit?
You can execute demanding jobs with this W7152 impact wrench without worrying. With a weight of 6.8 lbs, this unit delivers 1100 ft-lbs of nut-busting torque. Its housing is made of metal and has an all-metal drive train. Additionally, it features a rare earth magnet motor that makes it highly efficient.
This tool’s handle has an ergonomic design complemented by an over-molded grip to provide you with additional comfort during use. The 20V Li-ion battery included in the package offer high-charge capacity and low intrinsic hindrance for optimal runtime and power delivery.
- Impact-resistant housing
- Delivers up to 780 ft. lbs of maximum torque
- Ergonomic handle and over-molded grip.
- The kit is inclusive of 2 Lithium batteries
- Maximum speed scales up to 1900 RPM
- Offers warranty on tools, batteries, chargers, battery replacement, and free repair.
- Relatively heavy (13.5 pounds)
Buy On Amazon
8. MILWAUKEE M18 ½” High Torque Impact Wrench
This worthwhile bargain from the MILWAUKEE brand packs simplicity while providing dependable performance. It features a unique 4-pole frameless motor that offers maximum runtime and a powerful impact mechanism.
The compactness of this unit is exceptional. It measures 8 7/8″ long and weighs about 5.2 lbs making it have minimal exhaustion effect on the user. You will be fascinated by its non-slip, soft-grip handle that increases comfort when using the tool.
For optimal efficacy in removing lugs or fasteners, the maximum speed limit scales up to 1900 RPM. You will also find the 450 ft. lbs max torque it delivers super-efficient for most daily applications. You can engage the variable speed trigger to optimize control during application.
- Maximum cycle rate scales to 2200 IPM
- Variable speed control feature
- ½” impact wrench having friction ring
- Backed by a 5-year warranty
- Lightweight design (5.31 lbs)
- Bears a non-slip, soft-grip handle
- Sold only as a bare tool
Buy On Amazon
9. Ryobi P261K 18V Cordless ½” Impact Wrench Kit
If you are aiming at establishing an assembly of high-quality cordless tools, this exemplar impact wrench should be next in line. This kit graces you with a ½” cordless impact wrench (P261), 18V Li-ion charger (P118B), one 4.0 Ah Li-ion high capacity battery (P197), and an operator manual to boot.
This tool’s brilliant design enables it to offer up to 300 ft./lbs of torque for swift loosening or tightening of bolts and nuts. You will also find the maximum speed that scales up to 2900 RPM quite advantageous.
Mounted on the unit is a brilliant 4-bar illuminated indicator that helps you know the battery charge levels. It also displays a notable impact mechanism that produces up to 3200 impacts per minute.
- 3-speed selector switch
- Compatible with all 18V ONE+ tools
- Inclusive of a superior 4 Ah battery
- Delivers 300 ft./lbs. of torque
- Produces up to 3200 IPM making it pretty versatile
- Battery level indicator
- The bargain is exclusive of warranty details
Buy On Amazon
10. DEWALT (DCF890M2) Cordless Impact Wrench Kit with Hog Ring
One of the most outstanding features of this unit is its super compact design. Exclusive of the battery, the bare tool only weighs 2 lbs and has a head length of 5.5-inch. Such a compact design comes in handy when navigating tight spaces.
You can employ the specially fitted 3 LED on the 3/8” impact wrench to help improve your visibility when working in dull spaces. The purchase kit is also inclusive of a belt clip for ease of handling and storage.
You can use this unit in several tightening applications since it delivers 150 ft-lbs of max torque in a compact package. It also features a meritorious brushless motor design that improves the efficiency and runtime of the unit. The bargain is also inclusive of two 20V MAX Li-ion batteries.
- Backed by a three-year warranty
- The kit is inclusive of a fast charger for reduced downtime
- It can be powered by all DEWALT 20V Max batteries
- Brushless motor design
- Produces max torque of 150 ft-lbs
- Compact and ergonomic
- Maximum speed ranges to 2800 RPM
- Easy to Miss the hex chuck size (3/8”)
Buy On Amazon
11. MILWAUKEE 2767-20 1/2” High Torque Impact Wrench w/ 5.0 Ah battery
Would you like to add a cordless impact wrench that displays nonpareil resistance to your arsenal? This superlative unit guarantees you fade-free power in intense job site conditions and throughout any weather.
If you value productivity, this is the model for you. It exhibits a two times faster removal speed allowing you to accomplish jobs faster. While it delivers 1400 ft-lbs of nut-busting force and 1000 ft-lbs of fastening torque, no rusted or stubborn bolt will derail your project.
The purchase package includes a reliable M18 REDLITHIUM XC5.0 battery that delivers double the usual runtime. There is much to like about this unit’s battery pack. It is designed to run cool, power the tool in heavy-duty applications, and also work in climates below -180C.
- 4-mode drive control
- Bolt removal mode for optimal control
- Fast recharging battery
- Outstanding pack construction, performance, and electronic design for battery pack
- Resilient in all weather
- Bears a rubber over-mold finish material
- The bargain is void of warranty details
Buy On Amazon
Best Cordless Impact Wrench for Changing Tires Buyers’ Guide 2022
A good number of tire glitches or blowouts occur without warning. You obviously don’t want to remain stranded and impotent just because you lack the proper toolset to make a quick tire swap.
Having the best cordless impact wrench for changing tires in such instances would undoubtedly save the day. This powerful tool gives you the muscle to swiftly change a compromised tire, putting you back on track in no time.
A cordless impact wrench is handy for changing tires and a utility in automotive, construction, and engineering trades. This speaks volumes about the usefulness and versatility of this tool.
However, there is a tendency to liken an impact wrench to an impact driver. This is attributed to the close resemblance in their names. You probably have used their names interchangeably to refer to either tool, which is excusable. For that reason, let us help you set the differences between these two tools straight.
Impact driver vs. Impact Wrench
An impact wrench, also referred to as an impact gun, is a fastening tool that utilizes impacts and torque to tighten or loosen hex-head fasteners, bolts, and screws. The impacts are a result of momentary burst blows while torque is yielded from a rotational force.
This mechanism of action makes them deliver more torque ranging up to 250 ft-lbs and above on average. These units also employ a drive where you can integrate sockets for fastening or loosening applications. There are various types depending on the power source, including pneumatic (compressed air), corded (electric), and cordless (battery) types.
Impact drivers, on the other hand, lean towards drilling tools that deliver torque from both hammering blows and rotational force in the axial direction. This makes them have more speed (RPM) and less torque than impact wrenches. Their average torque ranges at about 125 ft. lbs.
Wondering what the role of an impact drill/driver is? It is primarily used to drive fasteners and screws and get them out of material. Impact drivers are a common find in toolkits of both DIY enthusiasts and professionals who employ them in construction projects or home improvement jobs.
Despite fully comprehending what a cordless impact wrench is, how it works, and its functions, you will likely find yourself in a dither when making a purchase decision. Therefore, the need to have key parameters to help you grade a model of interest becomes apparent.
Further below, we have elaborated on some essential factors to consider when navigating the market in pursuit of the best cordless impact wrench for changing tires. To ensure a unit meets your needs, take into account the following;
Torque, the measure of the force that can make something move, cuts it as a crucial factor in establishing the reliability of a cordless impact wrench. It would count as money down the drain if you bought a unit that delivers torque that is inadequate for dealing with frustrating lug nuts or bolts.
You have probably noticed quantifications of foot-pounds or inch-pounds on most cordless wrenches. These are the primary measurements used to express torque and indicate the power of a specific tool.
You will therefore want to settle for a unit that delivers enough torque in relation to the application. For instance, if you intend to change tires, you will want to settle for a bargain that delivers about 250 ft-lbs of torque. This is because most wheel nuts are torqued between 80 and 100 ft-lbs.
Note that loosening a bolt requires more torque than tightening it. That said, your choice of a cordless impact wrench is greatly influenced by the type of job you intend to use it. Bear in mind the higher the torque delivered, the more costly the tool.
If you are looking for a wrench that can handle large construction projects or maintenance of heavy machinery, you should settle for one that delivers torque as high as 1000 ft-lbs. However, if you need to tighten or loosen fasteners or bolts for standard projects, a low-torque to medium-torque cordless impact wrench will be the perfect fit.
Compactness and weight
An ideal cordless impact wrench should have a compact design augmented by a considerate weight. You can easily employ a compact tool when working in tight areas rather than a bulky one.
You should opt for a tool that has a balanced size without compromising its performance. You can judge the size of the tool using its specified length measurement. Units with a length ranging from 5 5/8″ to around 9″ are preferable.
Weight goes hand in hand with compactness. It is a vital factor since it influences the handling of a tool. The more lightweight a tool is, the less the user fatigue. You will want to settle for a model with a weight ranging from as low as 3.2 to 7.6 pounds. This way, working with such a tool for prolonged periods becomes feasible.
The ergonomics of a tool are some essential features that you should be on the lookout for. They not only make the cordless unit easy to use but also grace you with comfort while using a tool. Some of these features include;
- Anvil type – units with a hog ring anvil promote easy and fast socket changes.
- LED light – a tool with an onboard LED light is a plus for you. This helps improve visibility when working in poorly lit workspaces.
- Speed selection switch – to embrace versatility, most cordless impact wrenches offer a variety of speeds to choose from. You are totally in charge of controlling the tool via this germane switch.
- Rubberized soft grip – opt for tools with brilliantly designed grips for optimal comfort when using them. No one wants a unit that will make your hands sore simply from handling them.
- Battery gauge – this serves as an indicator of the battery charge status. This way, you can know when to recharge your batteries.
You should note that the mentioned ergonomic traits are not mandatory for every tool. A unit might feature some, all, or none of the user-friendly features. Their presence in a tool is, to some extent, a marginal boon and should not be solely used to scrutinize a tool of interest.
There are two parameters regarding the speed context; Impacts Per Minute (IPM) and Rotations Per Minute (RPM). Here are some general rules; an increase in RPM is followed by an increment in IPM. Also, the more the RPM, the quicker it is to affix or remove fasteners and bolts.
An increase in resistance makes the IPM more robust. You would therefore be wise to settle for a unit featuring a high RPM for fast task execution and increased productivity on the job site.
Being cordless power tools, the battery is a significant factor you should consider. It is recommendable to choose a bargain with batteries that grace you with enough juice for any application.
You should pay attention to the volts (V) and Amp Hours (Ah) readings. This is because a high voltage or Ah translates to more power. Generally, batteries ranging from 18V or 20V are considered suitable. Batteries ranging between 2.0 to 4.0 Ah are preferable for the Ah parameter.
The charger is yet another accessory that goes hand in hand with the battery. Fast chargers are desirable because they enable the battery to charge in record time fully. This way, you’re sure to spend more time being productive.
Another thing to hunt for in batteries is their inclusiveness in a bargain. It Is common to find deals that will only provide you with a bare tool. Such deals will need you to incur more costs to purchase the battery and charger.
The video below illustrates the difference between the Impact Driver and Impact Wrench
Driving on unhealthy tires can be a potential hazard. Whether it’s a nail or stone lodged in the tire or normal tire wear, some instances make changing tires inevitable. It may be intense and exhaustive if you plan to swap tires by hand.
However, it can also be a walk in the park, provided you have the best cordless impact wrench for changing tires with you. This mobile and versatile power tool helps you expedite the tire-changing process.
You are dealing with mechanical tools meaning there is always a potential risk due to unprecedented failure or malfunction. You should then be extremely cautious when handling such a unit. It would also be best to wear hearing protection to conserve your ears and safety glasses to avoid eye injury. All the best! I genuinely hope this article makes your purchase decision a success.